EL CHARRO AT THE SHANTY
Seattle, WA| ON THE BOARDS
Originally known as the “Shanty Café”, this beloved neighborhood restaurant is a piece of Seattle history. Prior to the building opening as a restaurant in 1914, it operated as a pay station for dock workers. Over the years the building has evolved, but has in many ways stayed true to the original design. When we first got involved with the project, the building itself was on life-support. There was a large hole in the roof, most of the interior walls had been removed, and much of the structure left unsupported – an unfortunate result of a previous contractor. While we needed to essentially rebuild the project from the ground up, we wanted to stay true to the history of the place. A one-story option was pursued, siding color and type were chosen to reflect an old photo of the original design, and salvaged wood structure exposed at the interior.
Start a project with us - get in touch